2016年11月20日日曜日

"posilutely"

Stimulated by Maki's post on "absobloominglutely" and browsing through the dictionary, I bumped into the word “posilutely.”

This is a compound word, a blend of "positively" (adv) and "absolutely" (adv), 

According to the OED, it is a slang originated in U. S.

I didn't know the word. Nor have I heard so far, used it myself.

It means:

----------
Emphatically; without a doubt, irrefutably. Also used as an emphatic affirmative: yes, certainly, definitely. Freq. paired with absotively adv.
----------

Is there "Absotively" also!?

I just think that "posilutely" sounds less comfortable than "absolutely," but on second thought, "p" sound might produce an exhilarating feeling.

No English conversation made is without "absolutely."
Some English learners might remember the first time when they were able to reply by saying "absolutely." The word's casualness and fascination enable other words to come in and create new, diverse expressions.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿