2016年11月6日日曜日

Apo Koinou in The Buried Giant 1

A follow-up to "There is no one compares with you" and Apo Koinou

What motivated me to explore the sentence construction was a constant encounter with them when reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant.

This novel is set in medieval Britain and features a journey of the Britons' elderly couple. Ishiguro states in some interview that he added some stylistic devises into passages in order to create a different atmosphere and tone fitting for the world. As far as I understand, "Apo Koinou" must be one of such deliberate attempts.

Let me write down and make a list of passages in the following. I have underlined the part which seems to me the case in question:

----------
   (Beatrice) 'Well it's not just your dream woman thinks it strange we should have our       candle taken from us.' (9)

   (Axl) 'What can it be makes everyone, yourself included, forget she ever lived?' (10)

   (Beatrice) "I'm sure it was the old ones were full of fear and foolish beliefs, reckoning every stone cursed and each stray cat an evil spirit. But now I'm grown old myself, what do I find but it's the young are riddled with beliefs like they never heard the Lord's promise to walk besides us at all times' (16)

   (Beatrice) 'It's been a thing in my thoughts a long time, Axl, though it's what that poor woman said just now makes me wish to delay no further' (19)

   (Beatrice) 'But why do you say it's my wishes always stood in the way of it?' (19)
----------

The list of the passages shows that Ishiguro's construction does not come with either "there-" or "have." They appear with an "emphatic" construction.

To be continued.

Works Cited:
Ishiguro, Kazuo. The Buried Giant. London: Faber and Faber, 2015. Print.  

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿