2016年9月30日金曜日

Typhoon, tycoon, tyranny and Tyrannosaur Part 1

I like playing with word sounds. And when I am just playing around with them, I sometimes hit on some linguistic features that words share.


typhoon
tycoon

tyranny
Tyrannosaur


These words look similar, sound similar, and also they are all terrifying if they are around you, aren't they. Frightening as one, but imagine all four of them coming to you at once (and I am so good at letting my fantasy fly wild).

".... A typhoon which revives a Tyrannosaur in its hibernation hits your country of tyranny ruled by a tycoon...."

Socially, politically, and catastrophically you are doomed!


Now, both 'typhoon' and 'tycoon' were imported from Asian words - 'typhoon' is 台風 meaning violent wind storm, and 'tycoon' is 大君 originally meaning the Tokugawa Shogun, later changing to refer to someone rich and successful in great power.

               Asian origin words showing great power over people

It may be just a coincidence, but don't these common features excite you?! They do for me.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿