2016年9月20日火曜日

Polyandry? Lost in Translation 02

Another Lost in Translation series.

In the summer of 2000, I was travelling round England, and I found a tabloid "Evening Standard" left on the seat in front of me. I have kept it like a treasure because of this small article I found inside:


It clearly and hilariously shows how we Japanese are poor in English conversation although most people receive at least 6 years of English education in junior and senior high school. Our former leader was a fine example of the result of our "nearly good-for-nothing school English education".

------

Lost in translation (Evening Standard  Monday 24th July 2000)

As the G8 leaders convened in Japan over the weekend, I year of a yarn that is too good to be true concerning Bill Clinton and Japanese PC Yoshiro Mori.

Before Mori's first visit to the US, he was lectured by an official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on how to greet the American President. The official advised him to follow the following verbal procedure: "How are you Mr. Clinton?" to which Clinton will say "I am fine, and you?" Then he should reply "Me too." However, matters did not follow such a simple course when Mori did meet Clinton. For Mori slipped at the first hurdle by asking "WHO are you?" To which a mystified Clinton replied: "I am the husband of Hilary Clinton." Mori then reverted to the rehearsed script and replied: "Me too."

------

The slip of the interrogative turned the casual greeting into an international polyandry...
Good work Mr. Mori.

Now, I wonder if Mr. Clinton will say more often "I am the husband of Hilary Clinton." after the presidential election...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿